Offering Skilled Counsel On Education Law Matters
Higgins, Roberts & Suprunowicz, P.C., has many years of experience in the field of education law, having previously served as general counsel for a school district for an extended period and is familiar with a broad spectrum of issues in the field of education law. Some of the areas in which we have provided services include special education, student discipline, student residency, civil service hearings, and employee discipline, tenure, civil rights, discrimination, vendor contracts and educational privacy. We have also served as counsel on real property matters, including tax and assessment grievances, wherein we secured an appellate precedent on standing, which was favorable to school districts.
We also provide comprehensive services in the field of higher education law, where we have experience serving as general counsel for a four-year duration in a private college, including:
- Providing counsel in drafting, reviewing and educating the administration, faculty and staff on college policies and procedures.
- Overseeing compliance with applicable federal and state statutes, including Title VII and Title IX, FERPA, Clery Act and Suzanne Lyall Law, Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, IRS Form 990 (governance and accountability and government grant certification compliance) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Reviewing contracts for real property, architects, contractors and vendors.
- Addressing “town-gown” relationship legal issues, including development of a protocol with the district attorney’s office, which establishes guidelines for instances when a student is engaged in criminal activity and is also subject to the campus adjudication process.
- Campus expansion and development and related zoning issues.
- Real property issues, including real property tax exemptions.
You can learn more about how we can help you by contacting our Schenectady education law attorneys. Call our office at 518-631-5609 or 866-719-3514 to schedule a consultation.